Job Title: Hostel Manager
Salary: S02 – SCP 26
SCP28 £30,451 – £32,234
Responsible for: Residential care for Sixth Form Students, and Residential Care Tutors and PSA staff.
Hours: Full time – 45 hours per week, term time only
Closing Date: 09.00 Monday 19 April 2021
Interviews: Thursday 22 April 2021
Purpose of the Job:
We are seeking an experienced and inspirational person to lead a team of motivated staff in providing high quality and personalised care and support to our Sixth Form students. Experience of working with students with a vision impairment would be an advantage, but full training will be given.
More importantly, the successful candidate will have a track record of engaging with young people, colleagues, parents and other professionals to create a caring and supportive environment in which young people can thrive and develop resilience and independence.
- To deputise for the Deputy Head of Care when they are not on duty, taking responsibility for the Sixth Form accommodation and ensuring lines of communication are maintained between SLT and staff.
- To be responsible for the line management of residential care tutors and PSA staff, including supervision and performance management.
- To co-ordinate the staff rotas for the Sixth Form Hostel to ensure sufficient staff are on duty to meet students’ needs.
- To support the recruitment, selection and induction of new staff as and when required.
- To quality assure the practice and paperwork in the Sixth Form Hostel and ensure action is taken to address any areas of concern.
- To provide a link between parents and NCW especially when there are concerns or issues raised. To promote and support the hostel staff in contacting parents.
- To ensure the effective planning and management of a range of meetings, including team meetings and student meetings.
- To manage the allocation of key workers and students to accommodation.
- To ensure all necessary documentation and records are kept to meet legal obligations and requirements of the College and Ofsted.
- To ensure a consistency of approach and practice across the Sixth Form accommodation.
- To ensure rewards and sanctions are implemented consistently across the residential provision.
- To ensure that there are positive links with curriculum staff and Head of Key Stage 5 to encourage high levels of work ethic and promotion of independent living skills.
- To work shifts as part of the rota so as to maintain an oversight of staff practice and student progress.
- To liaise with the Activities team leader to ensure students are aware of and taking part in activities that are relevant and appropriate to their needs.
- To support visits of parents, LAs and professionals throughout the year including Family days, taster weekends, open days and assessment visits.
- Keep abreast of current developments and thinking in the areas of education, care, VI and SEN. Foster your own professional development.
- Any other duties commensurate with the nature of the post and under the reasonable direction of the Principal.
Equal Opportunities Statement:
NCW is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is conditional on an enhanced Criminal Records Bureau check.
NCW is fully committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of students at the College. You are responsible for adhering to the College’s policies on Child Protection and for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people you come into contact with.
This job description will be reviewed annually and may be subject to amendment or modification at any time after consultation with the post holder. It is not a comprehensive statement of procedures and tasks but sets out the main expectations of NCW in relation to the post holder’s professional responsibilities and duties.
This document is to be read in the context of NCW Statement of Purpose, NCW Equal Opportunities Statement, and agreed policies of the NCW and the Conditions of Service as outlined in the individual employee’s contract.
How to apply
1. Download the Application Form below and save it to your computer.
2. To apply for this position you can either...