Job Title: TRANSCRIPTION OFFICER (AS163)
Salary: FT Scale: SCP 7 – 11 (£19,554 – £21,166)
Responsible for: Care of students in residential units.
Hours: 30 – 37 hours per week, term time only + 15 days during College holidays.
Closing Date: 12.00 Monday 2 March 2020
INTERVIEWS WILL TAKE PLACE ON:
w/c Monday 9 March 2020
Purpose of the Job:
To work with a team and provide support to staff and students by producing resources in the required medium of work, including Braille, various sizes of print and tactile diagrams
- To transcribe and produce Braille resources for the College and external customers.
- To scan and edit materials to make them accessible to vision impaired people.
- To proof read, correct and modify scanned materials
- To produce materials in large print.
- To produce tactile diagrams.
- To prioritise work and allocate to colleagues within the department.
- To be a point of contact for staff, students and external queries.
- To manage the ordering of materials.
- To manage maintenance of transcription equipment.
- To train other staff, students and volunteers.
- To induct NCW new starters as part of overall College induction.
- To copy papers for Governors’ meetings and other meetings as required.
- To supply the staff work room and staff room with stationery.
- To train and supervise students in transcription related tasks.
- To learn new software applications and upgrade when appropriate.
- To work with the Assistant Principal: Business and Finance to continually improve the department.
- To work with the Assistant Principal: Business and Finance to complete the Department Improvement Plan.
- To attend departmental meetings.
- To notify staff of or deliver completed work to staff.
- To provide relief Reception cover.
- To adhere to NCW Policies and Procedures.
- To ensure all Legal and Health & Safety requirements are met.
- Any other duties commensurate with the nature of the post and under the reasonable direction of the Principal.
Equal Opportunities Statement:
NCW is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is conditional on an enhanced Criminal Records Bureau check.
NCW is fully committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of students at the College. You are responsible for adhering to the College’s policies on Child Protection and for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people you come into contact with.
This job description will be reviewed annually and may be subject to amendment or modification at any time after consultation with the post holder. It is not a comprehensive statement of procedures and tasks but sets out the main expectations of NCW in relation to the post holder’s professional responsibilities and duties.
This document is to be read in the context of NCW Statement of Purpose, NCW Equal Opportunities Statement, and agreed policies of the NCW and the Conditions of Service as outlined in the individual employee’s contract.
All criteria are essential unless otherwise stated.
- To be competent in the use of the Duxbury Braille translation programme.
- To be able to proof read and pay attention to detail.
- The ability to be creative and adapt work.
- To produce Braille to conventional standard.
- To be competent in Microsoft Word.
- To be competent in Microsoft Outlook.
- To be competent in the use of a PC.
- To have a pleasant and positive manner.
- To be able to prioritise, organise work effectively and work to deadlines while under pressure.
- To be able to work both as part of a team and individually.
- To be competent in the use of Coreldraw.
How to apply
1. Download the Application Form below and save it to your computer.
2. To apply for this position you can either...